Our Houston web site marketing agency has long made use of Social Media to promote clients’ businesses. We consider Social Media Marketing as one of the top 5 web marketing strategies. Social Media Optimization – or SMO – is the term coined for website or social media site marketing strategies using Social Media techniques.
Social media optimization describes the use of Social Web 2.0 techniques by a web site marketing agency to make a website or social media site popular across the internet. Of course we are all familiar with SEO, but SMO means more than that. It means:
- Making your content more shareable to people and to communities across the social networks of the internet
- Making your SMO site more easily linked to
What does this mean more specifically?
1. Buttons, Badges and Widgets. Adding a widget to your content allows people to more easily bookmark or tag. RSS feed icons on your blogs, AddThis buttons.
2. Content Sharing. Think Facebook’s “Share This” button. Twitter’s “Retweet” functionality. Also, downloadable PDFs, video or audio files help your content to travel and become popular.
3. Social Commenting. Commenting, Voting, Rating, approving, “Liking,” voting up in StumbleUpon.
Of course, anything posted on the internet can and should be optimized for the search engines. But now, it is as important to be “optimized” to be found across social networks and communities. This means, the voting and rating can help your content rise to the top of searches done on social sites. Sites like Technorati, StumbleUpon, YouTube and more. Now, going “viral” can be more powerful in getting visitors than showing up in search engine results.
What kind of internet sites can be optimized for Social Media?
- Blogs on your website or off your website
- Videos on YouTube or other video sites
- Web 2.0 sites like Hubpages, Squidoo
- Blog aggregation sites like Technorati
It’s important to remember the difference in SEO and SMO is this: SEO is about becoming highly visible according to a search engine’s “algorithm,” while SMO is about becoming highly visible from votes and interest shown by people and communities.
Social Media Optimization is an efficient tool for website marketing and promotion, and there are many tools and techniques to help you spread the word about your brand and offerings. Learn more at Houston Web Site Internet Marketing Agency