Innovation is a huge marketing strategy for large companies. Apple, Nike, Samsung and other giants are leading the charge. But innovative products and services are not just for large companies. Every company now needs to be innovating in order to stay ahead of the competition.
How to nurture and protect the spirit of innovation in business? As a first step, look out for the killers of innovation and creativity. Here are a few enemies of innovation:
- Fat and Happy: Sticking to what is safe, established and successful. Remember the Smith Corona story and their decision to discontinue investment in Acer (Smith Corona folded after 100+ years, but Acer went on to become a top PC manufacturer)? The saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" should be rewritten to: "if it aint broke today, it probably will be tomorrow."
- Bureaucracy: Ideas are held back by forms, procedures and endless cycles of meetings. Are you having meetings where you wind up talking about having meetings? This is a sign...
- Overdone Planning and Strategy: Many consulting firms and development centers start with a huge Business Plan as a first step to getting into business. While planning and strategy are vital, they should not cause paralysis. How many successful musicians couldn't read sheet music? How many people without a college degree have changed the world?
- Lone Wolves: Even Einstein knew that collaboration is the springboard of successful innovation. He published papers with other scientists, and held discussions with Niels Bohr over several years on the topic of quantum theory. Successful innovation does not happen in a vacuum.
- Lack of Communication. Big thinkers start to believe everyone just naturally knows what they are thinking without it being communicated. Isn't it obvious? Well...no, it's not!
- Lazy Communication. Saying the same thing in the same way as everyone else. If nothing unique is being communicated in a mind-shifting way, others instantly tune out.
Enormous effort and discipline is needed to keep the innovative spark alive. At Global Business Builders, we understand the innovative process, and how to market innovative companies. Let’s discover your unique Identity, Positioning and Branding in the marketplace.